Wednesday, September 24, 2014

September ALOYF Finish

I started this bag back in July in the hopes I'd make it into Sewvivor.  I had it all cut out and ready to go just in case.  When I didn't make it in, it sat there on the top of my pile, mocking me.  I decided the best way to just get over it was to finish it =)


The flap was pieced and quilted separately and I really like how it turned out.  I did some outline & FMQ on a handful of the herringbone units.
I followed the tutorial from Marion over at My Quilt Diet here.  She does a great job of explaining just what a temple bag is, and I L-O-V-E this oversized messenger bag!

Pocket #1 Back exterior

If I make it again (and I'm almost positive I will) there are just a couple of adjustments I'd make.  On the flap, I'd made it about an inch wider and shorter.  It doesn't quite close up as tightly as I like.  I'd also place the largest inside pockets up about an inch and bring them in about an inch on each side so they're just a tich smaller.  This is because when I boxed the corners, it got caught.  Not a huge big deal, but easily fixed.


Pockets #2 & 3 Back interior

Pockets #4 & 5 Front interior

Pocket #6, 7, & 8 Front exterior (under flap)

One thing I wouldn't change ... the pockets--8 of 'em!  I'll definitely use her technique for zipper pockets again and I love how some of them were pockets inside pockets.  This thing is so sturdy, too.  I feel like I could use it as my subbing bag and it would do just fine hauling around all my every-day stuff (which is why I'm seriously thinking about making another one.)


This is a great sized bag that measures 12" tall x 18-1/2" wide x 5-1/2" deep.  The strap finishes at 45" and hangs beautifully at my hip.

Thanks for stopping by!  Check out other amazing finishes here.
My goal post was #71.

5 comments:

  1. Such a great feeling to finish a project and this bag is Fabulous! Creative Stitching Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bag and the colors your chose. I especially like the pattern on the front of the bag. Nice work Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great bag....love all the pockets and love the zippers. I'm very much into zippers right now - I want them on everything. :) blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!