Thursday, November 7, 2013

9607 Gardens

I've been meaning to do this post for about 8 weeks now.  There are a lot of pictures ... but mostly for my own benefit.  I guess you could consider this part 1 of Helping-My-Parents-Move.  My dad is an expert gardener.  Since I was in about 6th grade he discovered gardening and began transforming our suburban home into an oasis.  Everyone always knew our house because of the amazing plant displays.

I couldn't leave that home without documenting this year's garden.  It has come so far in almost 30 years and Dad collected some amazing plants.  I don't know what all of them are. I also know he'll start reacquiring in his new home, but I wanted to remember it this way.


Almost all of Dad's plants are in pots.  This made it easy for him to move them around and bring them in the house and greenhouse for overwintering.

These were along the north fence in the back yard.

These trumpet flowers were HUGE--from my fingertips to my elbows in length.  And all that in a pot, too.  I think he said it was some kind of tuber.

Dad's greenhouse was something he dreamed about for years.  Situated in the northeast corner of the back yard, it was his escape.


 I think this structure was originally meant to become a water feature, but never quite got there :)

 I love the amazing textures and depths that the colors add.  So lush and beautiful.

This is a mandevilla.  I first saw it when I visited with the kids a couple of years ago.  It is a vine plant that he puts in the pot with a trellis and away it goes ...  Now into the front yard:
This corner blocks a beautiful view of a storm drain.  Curved corner cut and lined with old bricks.
Isn't that braided hibiscus trunk amazing?  I think the Black-eyed Susans (MD state flower) set off the Hawaiian Hibiscus perfectly.
This waterfall is actually set up on very plain plank stairs.  He centered them on the side of the house and the water is flowing just below their bedroom window.
The larger tropical-leaved palms and elephant ears in combination with the hanging flower pots give the illusion that the stairs are much larger than they really are.

I love all the variegated varieties that he uses so that even the leaves are more than green.
This is on the porch by the frong door.  The purple sweet potato vines, spreading pink impatiens and hanging begonias and fuscias make their own statement.

The Japanese maples on the other side of the porch from the waterfall continue the cascading effect.

These last two pictures are of the front porch.  I love the red veins of the coleus paired with the impatiens and simple shamrock sit above this:
I can't remember what this purple-leaved plant is, but it was my favorite.  Dad said I could just break off a branch and it would easily root.  I was too worried that it wouldn't make the long journey back to OR safely, so I didn't--I really wish I did now :)

2 comments:

  1. OMG I want that landscape!!!!!!!!! It is to die for and he is so talented as a gardener. I am not nearly that good. I'm bookmarking this post so that I refer back to it in the spring. Some of this will definitely be my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed by your dad's green thumb!! Gorgeous landscaping!! I can't believe that they were mostly in pots and baskets. How did he keep them all watered so well? It never fails that about halfway through the summer months I forget to water for a few days and there goes all my container plants! They never seem to recover. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!