Monday, July 7, 2014

Sewvivor - A Reformed Heath'n - Heather Karr

I was so excited when RachH announced that this year's edition of Sew-vivor is for quilters.  I've only been quilting since 2012, but this is where I've found my creative outlet.  I still enjoy myriad other crafts, but they've definitely taken a backseat to my love of fabric and quilting.

Before she announced the quilter's edition, I thought I'd make a shirt that's been on my to-do list for over a year now.  I even have the fabric for it.  And now it will continue to wait for my time and attention =)  Then I wanted to use Samantha's memory quilt as my audition piece, and while I made a ton of progress over the last 4 or 5 weeks, it just didn't quite get done.  Which is fine.  I want to do it right.

So as I worked on Sam's quilt, I started thinking about all the projects I've done in the last couple of years and all the skills I've learned.  Maybe it's just because it was hanging above my sewing table, but I decided to submit my Spring Garden Mini that I made this past April (originally blogged here.)  I created it to submit for the Dear Stella/Timeless Treasures Modern Traditional Challenge.  I think it was a bit too traditional for that competition, but I am super proud of this piece from start to finish.

The only thing I really didn't like was the binding.  Actually, I loved the binding, just not for this project.  It was the first time that I not only made bias binding but also attempted more than just a plain binding.  The more I looked at it, the more I realized that it detracted from the overall piece.  Sooo ... I decided to change the binding and submit it again, this time for Sew-vivor.

I started by removing the hand stitching from the back.  This part went super quick.

Then I removed the machine stitching that connected the binding to the mini.  This took quite a bit longer.  (Doing this, I realized that the 2-1/2" strips I used were too wide.)

I needed to press the edges again because some of the back edged got turned down under the previous binding.

I cut and prepped new 2" binding strips.  This blue is the same blue I used on the backing.  Machine sewed it to the quilt.  Hand sewed it to the back. (This is my favorite way to finish the quilt.)

And, voila!

Not to repeat myself too much, but here are a couple of reasons I'm so proud of this piece:
1.  It showcases most of my quilting skills ... hand piecing, needle-turn applique, machine piecing and FMQ.

2.  It is the first time I attempted custom quilting.

3.  Those bees just slay me.  I came up with the design on my own and I still smile every time I see them.  Plus, I took the piece into my LQS and one of the ladies there asked if she could use my idea.  WOW!  That was a  little bit of a big deal for me as a novice.

Thanks for stopping by.  Go check out all the other amazing pieces at the link-up on Family Ever After.


  1. i really like the quilting you did on this piece.
    best of luck to you!

  2. Cool bees! I love how you incorporated that into your quilting. Very nicely done. Best, Kate

  3. Loved reading about that quilts journey - you did a great job on it.

  4. This is really great! Some very intimidating things in this piece and they're flawless :) Best of luck!

  5. Kudos to you for not giving up until you had your quilt exactly how you want it. I love the story of you unpicking the binding. Thanks commitment! I'm glad you posted some upclose details. This really is exquisite!


Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!