Monday, May 26, 2014

ALOYF May Finish!


Before I really get down to business, I want to say Happy Memorial Day.  I truly believe that this day is a day to honor all those who fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.  My paternal grandfather, Alma Fife Heath, fought in WWI as a medic and my maternal grandpa, John Elvin Bennett, was on the Enterprise in WWII.  Currently my brother-in-law, Jared Himmighoefer, is in the Army and has already served two tours overseas.  I am so proud of these men and all the other men and women I know who have served so selflessly.

This month I stepped back a little bit on my lofty goals, mostly because I had a couple of rather large non-quilting projects going on.  Even so, it took a long weekend and forcing myself to sit down and just do it.


I've been wanting to make these cup holders for a while now, ever since I saw the tutorial on Moda Bakeshop.  Then earlier this year, I got a fun charm pack of Twice as Nice by Riley Blake from one of my swap partners.  I knew just what I wanted to do.  Now I have a matching set, along with a mug rug from another swap last summer.  I'm so spoiled =)  On one I practiced my FMQ spirals with so-so results and on the other I quilted the design, and I liked it so much, I repeated it on the potholder.


Also, I had made a double potholder for the Recipe swap in March and knew I had to make one for myself.  I quilted the backing and pockets by outlining the patterns in the fabric and I *love, love, love* how this turned out!  RWB is one of my favorite color combos anyway and they look perfect with the 30's fabrics.



Now that my side table is looking better, I'll probably continue with that for the next month ...
(Originally Linked up as #75, and here is the original post)

4 comments:

  1. I love your double pot holder. I have the fabric, I have the desire, just need the time to work on my quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cup cozies look great. I need to make one now that it's iced tea season. Can't have those glasses "sweating" on my fabric! Good work getting those finished up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I gotta get that pattern and make myself at least one! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love to hear from you. Come back soon!